hotshotheader1a.jpg 822x142

Get Your Own Carrier Authority

What Is Required?

All new entrant Motor Carriers must submit an application package to obtain both a DOT Number and an MC Number.

After the initial application has been submitted, before the authority will be granted:
  • You must submit a Process Agent Filing. A process agent is a representative upon whom court papers may be served in any proceeding brought against a motor carrier, broker, or freight forwarder.
  • Your insurance company must file proof of liability and cargo insurance.
How Much Insurance Is Required?

The FMCSA minimum requirement for insurance is for $750,000 of liability insurance. The requirement for cargo insurance was eliminated in the spring of 2012. However, from a practical standpoint, most shippers and brokers will require that you have $1,000,000 of liability insurance and $100,000 of cargo insurance before they will even consider using your services. We can recommend an insurance carrier for you if you don't know who to call.
How Fast Can I Get My Own Authority?

We will obtain your DOT and MC numbers immediately after we submit your application electronically and the authority is typically granted in 15 business days provided your insurance company has filed proof of the required liability insurance.
How Much Will It Cost?

We will file the necessary application forms for you electronically for only $448.00. This includes the non-refundable filing fee of $300. It also includes the necessary Process Agent Filing. It does not include the cost of the cargo and liability insurance that you must obtain.
Should I setup an LLC (Limited Liability Company)?

Setting up a corporation or an LLC is in an option you should seriously consider because it can protect you from personal liability if something bad happens. It is not expensive ($99 plus your state's filing fee). If you are planning on setting up an LLC for your business you can file for your authority at the same time the LLC is being formed.

If you decide to form an LLC company, we can help you determine if the name you want to use is available before you file for your authority. We can also answer questions you may have and we can also help you get your company formed and coordinate that with the filing for your authority. You are welcome to call us 7 days a week and we will be happy to answer your questions.
What else do I need?

You need to pay the UCR (Universal Carrier Registration) tax for the current year. This is a step many new carriers miss because it is not required to get their authority and they simply don't know about it. They usually find out the hard way by getting a $300 fine the first time they are stopped and checked.

We can typically handle this for you a day or two after we file for your motor carrier authority and your company is in the computer system. The cost is $143 for 1 or 2 trucks and $303 for 3 to 5 trucks. The cost increases in steps as your fleet size increases.
Additional information.

If your CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is over 26,000 pounds the drivers must have a Class A CDL. This, in turn, requires that they get setup with a consortium for random drug testing.

In addition, if your CVWR is over 26,000 pounds you must also obtain an IFTA license and fuel decals for your truck(s) for payment of your fuel taxes. An IRP Apportioned License Plate for your truck(s) is also required so your truck will be legally licensed in the various states.

Please check the "VITAL INFORMATION" tab on our navigation bar above for more information on various important subjects you need to be knowledgeable about if you are planning to get your own authority.
An added bonus.

When we help you to get your own authority, we want to help you to succeed so we will provide you with a FREE Premium Subscription for 1 YEAR to,, and Of particular interest is the shipper database on that you can use to find potential shippers in your home base area and any area you might go to on a regular basis.
Ready To Get Started?

You can call us between at 9:00 AM and 9:00 PM (eastern) at: 239-603-6080 daily (including weekends). To access a form to provide us with the basic information we will need, please click the following link: APPLICATION FORM

Have A HotShot Day!        © The Internet Freight Terminal. All Rights Reserved.